The Catholic Parishes of Barking & Ilford Lane, Diocese of Brentwood, Reg. Charity No. 234092

Father William Young




In November 1991 Father Young was appointed as parish priest of St Mary & St Ethelburga

Father William Young, a native of Fobbing, near Corringham, a convert to the Catholic Church he studied for the priesthood at the Venerable English College, Rome, where he was ordained by Archbishop Worlock of Liverpool on 28 March 1980, at a Mass at which Bishop Casey was a concelebrant. After completing his studies in Rome Father Young served as an assistant priest at St James-the-Less & St Helen, Colchester (1981-1985), Our Lady of Grace & St Teresa, Chingford (1985-1986), Our Lady Immaculate, Chelmsford (1986-1989), and Our Lady of Lourdes, Leigh-on-Sea (1989-1991).

With the retirement of Father Jack Clifford as Parish Priest of St Mary & St Erconwald, Ilford Lane, Bishop McMahon, after consultation with Father Young and the parishioners of both Ilford Lane and St Mary & St Ethelburga, announced that the two parishes would be linked, beginning in September 2008. This linking, whereby Father Young is responsible for both parishes.

Father Young has always been sensitive to the needs of those who value the celebration of Mass in Latin in the Traditional or Extraordinary (Tridentine) Form, and from 2005 to 2007, at the request of Bishop McMahon and in addition to particular feasts or other special occasions.

Father Young, who is something of an expert on church bells, initiated the construction of new belfry in time for the Jubilee of 2000. The existing Angelus bell of the original church in 1867 which was tolled up until 1940, was now placed with three new bells in a purpose-built belfry to make a ring of four bells.